Plasmapause location under quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp≤1): THEMIS observations
Cited 0 time in
- Plasmapause location under quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp≤1): THEMIS observations
- Kwan, Hyuckjin
- Location of auroral oval; Plasmapause location
- Issue Date
- Kwan, Hyuckjin, et al. 2015. "Plasmapause location under quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp≤1): THEMIS observations". Geophysical Research Letters, 42(18): 7303-7310.
- We statistically examined the plasmapause location (Lpp) under quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp ≤ 1) using the electron density inferred from the Time History of Events and Macroscale Interactions during Substorms (THEMIS) spacecraft potential for 2 year period (2008 and 2009). Five hundred forty-three Lpp samples were identified under steady quiet conditions with Kp values ≤ 1 during 12 h prior to the plasmapause crossing. From our large data set, we determined the medians and means of Lpp in L and magnetic local time (MLT). They are located near geosynchronous orbit and nearly circular. The Lpp medians show a slight bulge located in postdusk sector. Comparing with previous models, our median or mean Lpp is extended ∼1-2 L from the Earth than the model Lpp along the local time from 0800 to 2400 MLT. That is, Lpp locations in the previous models are underestimated during quiet geomagnetic conditions.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.