Effect of gamma irradiation on the structure of fucoidan
Cited 0 time in
- Effect of gamma irradiation on the structure of fucoidan
- Choi, Jong-il
Lee, Sung Gu
Han, Se Jong
Lee, Pyung Cheon
- Chemistry; Nuclear Science & Technology; Physics
- Fucoidan; Radiation; Molecular structure; FT-IR; Sulfate; SEM
- Issue Date
- Choi, Jong-il, et al. 2014. "Effect of gamma irradiation on the structure of fucoidan". Radiation Physics and Chemistry,, 100: 54-58.
- The change of molecular structure of fucoidan by gamma irradiation was analyzed by spectral and chemical methods. Fucoidan samples with different molecular weights of 85, 30, 15, and 7 kDa were prepared by radiation degradation of 217 kDa fucoidan. In the molecular weight analysis, the polydispersity decreased by gamma radiation because of further degradation of higher weight molecules. Ultraviolet absorption and Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy analyses were carried out to define the changes of the functional groups in fucoidan by gamma irradiation. Carboxyl groups and carbon double bonds increased by gamma irradiation; however, sulfate content remained
unchanged. The granular fissures were observed from scanning electron microscopy in gammairradiated fucoidan.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.