Discrepancy between morphological and molecular traits for species discrimination in the tintinnid ciliate Parafavella
- Discrepancy between morphological and molecular traits for species discrimination in the tintinnid ciliate Parafavella
- Jung, Jae-Ho
Dolan, John R.
Hwang, Chung Yeon
Yang, Eun Jin
- Issue Date
- Jung, Jae-Ho., et al. 2015. Discrepancy between morphological and molecular traits for species discrimination in the tintinnid ciliate Parafavella. 2015 The Korean Society of Marine and Fisheries Life Science Meeting. Busan. 2015.04.17.
- Parafavella spp. were collected during the cruise of the Korean research ice-breaker Araon 2012 in the North Pacific Ocean. The tintinnids are usually identified based on the morphology of loricae rather than infraciliatures. However, Parafavella which is one of the genera in tintinnids has a high variation on lorica morphology in size and shape that implies a existence of synonym or convergence on the lorica morphology. To clearly delineate the inter-specific boundary of Parafavellaspecies, we analyzed the lorica morphology with their genetic traits. Based on the lorica, five species were identified as follows: Parafavella denticulata, P. gigantea, P. hemifusus, P. parumdentata, and P. subrotundata. With respect to the molecular trait, nuclear (SSU-LSU D2, ca. 3,000 bp) and mitochondiral (CO1, ca. 480 bp) genes were newly sequenced and analyzed. The nuclear gene sequences of all 5 morphospecies were completely identical each other whereas the CO1 sequence data was divided into 2 clades (P. parumdentata vs. P. denticulata-P. gigantea-P. hemifusus-P. subrotundata) with about 3% genetic dissimilarity between the groups. These two clades based on the molecular data were supported by morphological differences of width of lorica rather than the length in 5 species. However, it has been widely accepted that the length is a distinct diagnostic feature of P. gigantea discriminating from the other 4 congeners. To clarify this discrepancy in Parafavella species, we need further investigation on the infraciliatures with more genetic data.
- Conference Name
- 2015 The Korean Society of Marine and Fisheries Life Science Meeting
- Conference Place
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.