Initiation of Franciscan subduction along a large-offset fracture zone: Evidence from mantle peridotites, Stonyford, California
Cited 22 time in
- Initiation of Franciscan subduction along a large-offset fracture zone: Evidence from mantle peridotites, Stonyford, California
- Other Titles
- 거대변위의 단층대를 따라 발생한 프란시스칸의 서브덕션: 맨틀 페리도타이트로부터의 증거
- Choi, Sung Hi
Mukasa, Samuel B.
Shervais, John W.
- Coast Range ophioplite; SSZ peridotite; Sr-Nd-Pb-Hf isotope; abyssal peridotite; large-offset fracture zone
- Issue Date
- The Geological Society of America
- Choi, Sung Hi, Mukasa, Samuel B., Shervais, John W.. 2008. "Initiation of Franciscan subduction along a large-offset fracture zone: Evidence from mantle peridotites, Stonyford, California". geology, 36(8): 595-598.
- We report here on the radiogenic isotope characteristics of peridotites from one ophiolite locale, Stonyford, in the Coast Range ophiolite (CRO) of California, spanning the entire observed range of upper mantle peridotites from both abyssal and subduction-zone settings. Based on the Sr-Nd-Pb-Hf isotopic compositions and estimated equilibration temperatures, we suggest that the abyssal peridotite block represents a remnant of large-offset transform oceanic lithosphere at >172 Ma. East-dipping, proto-Franciscan subduction is likely to have been initiated along this fault zone during a plate reorganization event, which produced the supra-subduction zone (SSZ) peridotites in the CRO. We propose that the remnant abyssal peridotites represent a snapshot of the mantle wedge composition prior to overprinting of large sectors by hydrous melting during the subsequent subduction-controlled SSZ processes.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.