Characterization of a Myostatin-like Gene from the Scallop Patinopecten yessoensis
Cited 0 time in
- Characterization of a Myostatin-like Gene from the Scallop Patinopecten yessoensis
- Other Titles
- 한국산 참가리비에서 분리한 마이오스태틴 유사 유전자의 특성연구
- Hyun-Woo Kim
Myong Suk Yoo
Kim, Hak Jun
- Patinopecten yessoensis; Scallop; Myostatin; TGF-β; Muscle; Fisheries
- Issue Date
- Hyun-Woo Kim, Myong Suk Yoo, Kim, Hak Jun. 2007. "Characterization of a Myostatin-like Gene from the Scallop Patinopecten yessoensis". The Korean Society of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 10(1): 16-23.
- Myostatin (GDF8) is a growth factor that limits muscle tissue growth and development in vertebrates. We isolated a myostatin-like gene (Py-MSTN) from the marine invertebrate the scallop Patinopecten yessoensis. Py-MSTN was highly expressed in the adductor muscle and in the gill unexpectedly. Amino acid analysis showed that Py-MSTN has 49% amino acid sequence identity and 64% similarity to human myostatin (Hs-MSTN), and 42% identity and 61% similarity to myoglianin, the only invertebrate homolog. These results indicated that Py-MSTN may be functionally similar to the vertebrate MSTN than the invertebrate homolog. Phylogenetic analysis suggested that Py-MSTN is an ancestral form of vertebrate MSTN and GDF11 and does not belong to other TGF-ß family members. Molecular modeling showed that Py-MSTN exhibits a similar tertiary structure to mammalian BMP7, a member of TGF-ß family. In addition, the amino acid residues which contact extracellular domain of the receptor were relatively conserved. Given these results, we propose that Py-MSTN is a functionally active member of the TGF-ß family and that it is involved in muscle growth and regulation.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.