Volume backscattering strength of ice krill (Euphausia crystallorophias) in the Amundsen Sea coastal polynya
Cited 1 time in
- Volume backscattering strength of ice krill (Euphausia crystallorophias) in the Amundsen Sea coastal polynya
- Other Titles
- 남극 아문젠해 아이스 크릴의 음향산란특성
- La, HyoungSul
Shin, Hyoung Chul
Lee, Sang H.
- Amundsen Sea; Antarctic krill; Acoustic identification; Coastal polynya; Euphausia crystallorophias; Ice krill; Volume backscattering strength
- Issue Date
- La, HyoungSul, et al. 2016. "Volume backscattering strength of ice krill (Euphausia crystallorophias) in the Amundsen Sea coastal polynya". DEEP-SEA RESEARCH PART II-TOPICAL STUDIES IN OCEANOGRAPHY, 123(1): 86-91.
- Volume backscattering strength (Sv in dB re 1 m-1) of ice krill (Euphausia crystallorophias) was observed at two frequencies (38 and 120 kHz) with a calibrated split-beam echosounder system in the Amundsen Sea coastal polynya. The horizontal and vertical scattering layers in the upper 200 m of the water column were known with the existence of predominant ice krill (>95%) in this region. Acoustic identification using a two-frequency dB window between Sv at 38 and Sv at 120 kHz separated echoes originating from dominant ice krill from other zooplankton species. The frequency dependence of ice krill at 38 and 120 kHz was examined and the result presented that ice krill might have different acoustic characteristics from other Southern Ocean zooplankton species including Euphausia superba. This result could be applied to improve the ability of acoustic identification and precise density estimation of ice krill in the high-latitude coastal waters of Antarctica.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.