Oceanic Thermohaline Circulation and Property Changes to Volcanic Eruption: Preliminary results
- Oceanic Thermohaline Circulation and Property Changes to Volcanic Eruption: Preliminary results
- Other Titles
- 화산 폭발로 인한 해양 열염순환과 특성 변화에 대한 예비 결과
- Kim, Seong-Joong
Lee, Bang Yong
- North Atlantic Deep Water; Oceanic Thermohaline Circulati; SST; Volcanic Eruption
- Issue Date
- Kim, Seong-Joong, T.J. Crowley, Lee, Bang Yong. 2008. Oceanic Thermohaline Circulation and Property Changes to Volcanic Eruption: Preliminary results. 한국해양학회. 한국해양학회. 2008.05.30~.
- The oceanic thermohaline circulation and property changes in response to the volcanic eruption are investigated using a coupled atmosphere-ocean-sea ice climate model. The atmosphere model is an energy balance model and the ocean model is a three dimension comprehensive model. Volcanic eruption provides gases in the atmosphere which increases the aerosol optical depth and acts to reduce the incoming shortwave radiation. Two numerical experiments are simulated. The first experiment features the Pinatubo eruption and the second experiment simulates the much larger volcanic eruption occurred at 1259 when the radiative forcing reduced by 7 times the Pinatubo case. The huge volcanic eruption event could result in a marked change in ocean circulation and properties and thus a significant impact on global climate for up to several years as in the case of the Little Ice Age.
- Conference Name
- Conference Place
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.