Cryoprotective exopolysaccharide produced by the antarctic bacterium Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653
- Cryoprotective exopolysaccharide produced by the antarctic bacterium Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653
- Other Titles
- 북극 세균인 Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653이 생산하는 항동결물질인 exopolysaccharide
- Kang, Pilsung
Lee, Hong Kum
Kim, Sung Jin
Yim, Joung Han
- Antarctic; Bacterium; Cryoprotective; Exopolysaccharide
- Issue Date
- Kang, Pilsung, et al. 2008. Cryoprotective exopolysaccharide produced by the antarctic bacterium Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653. SCAR/IASC 위원회. SCAR/IASC 위원회. 2008.07.08~.
- Among the seven bacterial strains isolated for the ability to secrete cryoprotective exopolysaccharides from King George Island, Antarctica, Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653 was selected for further study of an anti-ice-nucleating polysaccharide from a polar region. The exopolysaccharide (P-21653) was purified from KOPRI 21653 culture via column chromatography and protease treatment. The major sugar components of P-21653 were determined to be galactose and glucose at a ratio of 1:1.5 by GC-MS analysis. The cryoprotective activity of P-21653 was characterized using an E. coli viability test. In the presence of 0.1% P-21653, the survival ratio of E. coli cells was as high as 82.6% in three repeated freeze-thaw cycles. The survival ratio drastically decreased to 71.5 and 48.1%, respectively, in five and seven repeated cycle conditions
however, the survival ratios were greater during three (96.6-92.1%) to seven (100.5-91.6%) cycles in the presence of 0.5 and 1.0% P-21653. In addition, at much lower concentrations (0.1-1.0%), P-21653 resulted in survival ratios (83.1-98.4%) similar to those of two commercially available cryoprotectants (VEG plus X-1000, 92.9% and VM3, 95.3%), which were used at the recommended concentration of 90%. The biochemical characteristics suggests that P-21653 may be developed as a useful cryoprotectant in medical applications.
- Conference Name
- SCAR/IASC 위원회
- Conference Place
- SCAR/IASC 위원회
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.