Cryoprotective properties of exopolysaccharide (P-21653) produced by the Antarctic bacterium, Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653 on Red Blood Cell
- Cryoprotective properties of exopolysaccharide (P-21653) produced by the Antarctic bacterium, Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653 on Red Blood Cell
- Other Titles
- Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653 이 생산하는 다당류 P-21653의 적혈구에 대한 항동결 특성
- Kim, Sung Jin
Yim, Joung Han
Lee, Hong Kum
- Cryoprotectant; Red blood cell; exopolysaccharide
- Issue Date
- Kim, Sung Jin, et al. 2008. Cryoprotective properties of exopolysaccharide (P-21653) produced by the Antarctic bacterium, Pseudoalteromonas arctica KOPRI 21653 on Red Blood Cell. KOPRI. KOPRI. 2008.09.25~.
- 25 bacterial strains that secrete mucous materials were isolated from sediment obtained from King George Island, Antarctica. Seven of these strains proved capable of producing cryoprotective exopolysaccharides. The strain KOPRI 21653 was selected for the further study. KOPRI 21653 was identified as Pseudoalteromonas arctica as the result of 16S rRNA analysis. The exopolysaccharide, P-21653, was purified by Cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC) and protease treatment from the KOPRI 21653 culture. The sugar components of P-21653 determined to be galactose and glucose, at a ratio of 1:1.5, by GC-MS analysis.
The cryoprotective effect of P-21653 was determined by a red blood cell (RBC) LDH assay. In the presence of 0.5% (w/v) P-21653, the Damaged cell ratio of RBC was 20.83±2.83%, after three repeated freeze-thaw cycles. The damaged cell ratio of RBC increased to 26.1%, in five repeated cycle conditions in same concentration of P-21653. However, the damaged cell ratios of RBC were increased (20.83±2.83 - 42.11±7.27 %) in the presence of 0.5 - 0.2% (w/v) P-21653. In addition, at lower concentrations of P-21653 (0.2 - 0.5%), the damaged cell ratios of RBC were more less than generally employed as a RBC cryoprotectant (glycerol), which was utilized at the recommended concentrations (40%). The biochemical characteristics of exo-polysaccharide P-21653 reflect that this compound may be developed as a useful cryo-protectant for use in medical applications.
- Conference Name
- Conference Place
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.