THE DISTRIBUTION OF GLACIAL MELTWATER IN THE AMUNDSEN SEA,ANTARCTICA, REVEALED BY EXCESSHELIUM AND NEON
- THE DISTRIBUTION OF GLACIAL MELTWATER IN THE AMUNDSEN SEA,ANTARCTICA, REVEALED BY EXCESSHELIUM AND NEON
- Other Titles
- 불활성기체 추적자를 이용한 서남극해 아문젠해에서 빙하 용융수의 분포 연구
- Kim, Intae
Lee, Sang H.
Rhee, Tae Siek
- 네온; 불활성기체; 서남극 아문젠해; 융용수; 추적자; 헬륨
- Issue Date
- Kim, Intae, et al. 2015. THE DISTRIBUTION OF GLACIAL MELTWATER IN THE AMUNDSEN SEA,ANTARCTICA, REVEALED BY EXCESSHELIUM AND NEON. Goldschmidt. 프라하. 2015.08.16~2015.08.22.
- The light noble gases, helium (He) and neon (Ne), dissolved in seawater can be useful tracers of freshwater added by the glacier melting since the air bubbles trapped in glacial ice dissolve in seawater, resulting in supersaturation. To investigate the distributions of glacier meltwater (GMW) in the Amundsen Sea, Antarctica, we measured the two noble gases, He and Ne, in the water column of the Amundsen Sea in 2011 and 2012. The measured saturation anomalies of He and Ne (ΔHe and ΔNe) (ΔC = (C/Ceq？ 1) × 100%, where Heeq and Neeq are at equilibrium with the atmosphere) were in the range of 3 ？ 35% and 2 ？ 12% (n>80), respectively, near the Dotson？ and Getz Ice Shelves (DIS and GIS). The calculated GMW fraction in seawater, based on the excess ΔHe, in DIS, GIS and Dotson trough (DT) regions, were 0.4 ？ 2.0%, 0.4 ？ 0.8%, and 0.4 ？ 1.2%, respectively. Along the DT, the largest GMW fractions (up to 1.2%) were observed in 400 ？ 500 m depth where the warm Circumpolar Deep Water (CDW) melts the base of the ice shelves along DT in 2011. This large extent of GMW were even appeared nearly 300 km away from the ice shelves, suggesting that GMW can be transported more than several hundred kilometers offshore. Near the ice shelves, the GMW fraction was substantially higher in DIS than those in GIS and the largest (up to 2.0%) of GMW were observed in the western part of DIS. In 2012, the GMW fractions decreased up to 30 ？ 40% in DIS and GIS, respectively, indicating distinct temporal variability in glacial melting compared to 2011. Our results imply that ΔHe and ΔNe are sensitive GMW tracers with high spatiotemporal resolutions.
- Conference Name
- Conference Place
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.