Mapping of summer sea ice in the Chukchi Sea from KOMPSAT-5 SAR
- Mapping of summer sea ice in the Chukchi Sea from KOMPSAT-5 SAR
- Other Titles
- 아리랑5호 영상레이더로부터 척치해 여름해빙 지도화
- Hong, Sang-Hoon
- Arctic; KOMPSAT-5; SAR; sea ice; sea ice concentration
- Issue Date
- Hong, Sang-Hoon, Kim, Hyun-cheol, Han, Hyangsun. 2017. Mapping of summer sea ice in the Chukchi Sea from KOMPSAT-5 SAR. The 24th International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions. 부산 노보텔. 2017.06.11~2017.06.16.
- A sea ice mapping model based on Random Forest (RF) has been developed for the Korea Multi-Purpose Satellite-5 (KOMPSAT-5) Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) data in Enhanced Wide swath mode obtained from 6 August to 9 September 2015 in the Chukchi Sea. A total of 12 texture features derived from backscattering intensity and the gray level co-occurrence matrix were used as input variables for sea ice mapping. The RF model produced a sea ice map with a grid size of 125 m, demonstrating excellent performance in the classification of sea ice and open water with an overall accuracy of 99.2% and a kappa coefficient of 98.5%. Sea ice concentration (SIC) retrieved from the RF-derived sea ice maps was compared with that from ice charts. The mean and median values of the differences between the SICs derived from the RF model and the ice charts were ？8.85 and ？8.38%, respectively. Such difference was attributed to the uncertainty in the ice charts rather than error in the RF model.
- Conference Name
- The 24th International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions
- Conference Place
- 부산 노보텔
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.