Biogeochemical evidence of anaerobic methane oxidation on active submarine mud volcanoes on the continental slope of the Canadian Beaufort Sea
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- Biogeochemical evidence of anaerobic methane oxidation on active submarine mud volcanoes on the continental slope of the Canadian Beaufort Sea
- Other Titles
- 캐나다 보퍼트해역 대륙사면에 존재하는 해저 진흙화산에 현존하는 혐기성 메탄산화의 생지화학적 증거
- Dong-Hun Lee
Lee, Yung Mi
Jin, Young Keun
- Anaerobic methane oxidation; Biogeochemical evidence; Canadian Beaufort Sea
- Issue Date
- Dong-Hun Lee, et al. 2018. "Biogeochemical evidence of anaerobic methane oxidation on active submarine mud volcanoes on the continental slope of the Canadian Beaufort Sea". BIOGEOSCIENCES, 15(0): 7419-7433.
- TS2In this study, we report lipid biomarker patterns and phylogenetic identities of key microbial communities mediating anaerobic oxidation of methane (AOM)in active mud volcanoes (MVs) on the continental slope of the Canadian Beaufort Sea. The carbon isotopic compositions (d13C) of sn-2- and sn-3-hydroxyarchaeol showed the highly 13C-depleted values (-114‰ to -82 ‰) associated with a steep depletion in sulfate concentrations within 0.7m of sediment depths. This suggested the presence of methan otrophic archaea involved in sulfate-dependent AOM, albeit in a small amount. The ratio of sn-2-hydroxyarchaeol to archaeol (> 1) and operational taxonomic units (OTUs) indicated that archaea of the anaerobic methanotrophic archaea (ANME) CE2 clades ANME-2c and ANME-3 were
15 involved in AOM. Higher d13C values of archaeol and biphytanes (BPs; -55.2+/-10.0‰ and -39.3+/-13.0 ‰, respectively) suggested that archaeal communities were also assimilating AOM-derived inorganic carbon. Furthermore, the distinct distribution patterns of methanotrophs in the three MVs appears to be associated with varying intensities of ascending gas fluids. Consequently, our results suggest that the niche diversification of active mud volcanoes has shaped distinct archaeal communities that play important roles in AOM in the Beaufort Sea.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.