Production rate estimation of mycosporine-like amino acids in two Arctic melt ponds by stable isotope probing with NAH13CO3
Cited 2 time in
Cited 2 time in
- Production rate estimation of mycosporine-like amino acids in two Arctic melt ponds by stable isotope probing with NAH13CO3
- Ha, Sun-Yong
Chung, Kyung Ho
- Plant Sciences; Marine & Freshwater Biology
- Arctic; Melt pond; Mycosporine-like amino acids; Sea Ice; Stable isotope probing (SIP) technique; Araon
- Issue Date
- Ha, Sun-Yong, et al. 2014. "Production rate estimation of mycosporine-like amino acids in two Arctic melt ponds by stable isotope probing with NAH13CO3". Journal of Phycology, 52: 901-907.
- The net carbon uptake rate and net production rate of mycosporine-like amino acids (MAAs) were
measured in phytoplankton from 2 different melt ponds (closed and open type pond) in the western
Arctic Ocean using a13C stable isotope tracer technique. The Research Vessel Araon visited icecovered
western-central basins situated at 82°N and 173°E in the summer of 2012, when Arctic sea ice declined to a record minimum. The average net carbon uptake rate of the hytoplankton inpolycarbonate (PC)bottles in the closedmelt pond was 3.24 mg C ·m-3· h-1(SD = ± 1.12 mg C · m-3 · h-1), while that in the open melt pond was 1.3 mg C · m-3 h-1(SD = ± 0.05 mg C · m-3？ h-1). The net production rate of total MAAs in incubatedPC bottles was highest (1.44 (SD= ±0.24) ngC ？L-1？ h-1) in
the open melt pond and lowest (0.05 (SD= ±0.003) ngC · L-1· h-1) in the closed melt pond. The net production rate of shinorine and palytine in incubatedPC bottlesat the open melt pond presented
significantly high values 0.76 (SD= ±0.12) ngC · L-1 · h-1 and 0.53 (SD= ±0.06) ngC · L-1 · h-1. Our results showed that high net production rate of MAAs in the open melt pond was enhanced by a combination of osmotic and UVR stress and thatin situ net production rates of individual MAA can be determined using 13C tracer inmelt ponds in Arctic sea ice.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.