Characterization of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in different particle size fractions of marine sediments
Cited 19 time in
Cited 24 time in
- Characterization of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in different particle size fractions of marine sediments
- Other Titles
- 해양퇴적물의 polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins과 dibenzofurans 특성 분석
- Lee, Se-Jin
Moon, Myeong Hee
- PCD/Fs; fine particle; particle size; sediment
- Issue Date
- Lee, Se-Jin, et al. 2006. "Characterization of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in different particle size fractions of marine sediments". ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION, 144: 554-561.
- The distribution of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans (PCDD/Fs) was examined according to particle size in marine sediments, with a particular focus on fine particulates. Samples from different coastal sites were fractionated into five size groups (< 2, 2-5, 5-10, 10-20, and 20-63 mu m diameter) by gravitational split-flow thin fractionation. Despite the different size profiles and PCDD/F contents of the sediments at each site, PCDD/F levels in fractionations tended to increase as the particle size decreased;the PCDD/F levels in the finest particles were up to 16 times higher than in the coarsest particles, which was associated with their organic carbon contents. Log normalization showed high levels of PCDD/Fs in the fine silt particles (2-10 mu m), which are consumable by aquatic biota. Because of the different toxicity and bioavailability of PCDD/Fs in different sediment particle sizes, it is important to study particle actions to understand their effects on the aquatic ecosystem. (c) 2006 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.