New Approach on the Extinction of Spreading at the Phoenix Ridge, Antarctica
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- New Approach on the Extinction of Spreading at the Phoenix Ridge, Antarctica
- Other Titles
- 남극 피닉스해령 확장작용 소멸시기에 대한 새로운 고찰
- Choe, Won Hie
Lee, Jong Ik
Jin, Young Keun
Hur, Soon Do
Lee, Mi Jung
- Phoenix ridge; extinction of spreading; K-Ar age; submarine basalt
- Issue Date
- Choe, Won Hie, et al. 2005. "New Approach on the Extinction of Spreading at the Phoenix Ridge, Antarctica". The Petrological Society Of Korea, 14(1): 73-81.
- K-Ar ages have been determined for the submarine basalts dredged from the P2 and P3 segments of the Phoenix Ridge, Drake Passage, Antarctica, for better understanding on the extinction of seafloor spreading. At the P3 segment, the K-Ar ages of the rifted ridge basalts are 3.5-6.4 Ma, and those for the axial seamount basalts are 1.5-3.1 Ma. The K-Ar ages for the basalts at the rifted ridge and axial central high in the P2 segment are 2.1 and 1.4-1.9 Ma, respectively. We suggest that the extinction of seafloor spreading at the P3 and P2 segments occurred at 3.3 and 2.0 Ma, respectively, on the basis of ridge structure and formation time of basalts. This result favors the a stepwise extinction model rather than a simultaneous one on the extinction of the Phoenix Ridge.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.