Antioxidant activity of polar lichens from King George Island (Antarctica)
Cited 20 time in
Cited 25 time in
- Antioxidant activity of polar lichens from King George Island (Antarctica)
- Other Titles
- 킹조지섬의 극지지의류로 부터 항산화제 탐색
- Bhattarai, Hari Datta
Lee, Jin Sung
Yim, Joung Han
Lee, Jin Sung
Hong, Soon Gyu
- Biodiversity & Conservation; Environmental Sciences & Ecology
- Antarctica; Antioxidant; lichen
- Issue Date
- Bhattarai, Hari Datta, et al. 2008. "Antioxidant activity of polar lichens from King George Island (Antarctica)". POLAR BIOLOGY, 1(31): 605-608.
- Antioxidant agents prevent reactive oxygen species, which can cause degenerative diseases. Natural antioxidants are preferred over many synthetic antioxidants, which can be toxic, for therapeutic applications. Five lichen species were collected from King George Island, Antarctica. Antioxidant activities as assessed by DPPH (1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl) free radical and ABTS？+ [2,2\\'-azinobis-(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonate)] radical scavenging capacities were determined and compared with those of commercial standards BHA (Butylated hydroxyanisole) and trolox [(？)-6-hydroxy-2,5,7,8-tetramethylchromane-2-carboxylic acid]. The results indicated that two lichens exhibited comparatively high antioxidant activities with the remaining three exhibiting less activity. Antioxidant activity was concentration dependent. When compared the antioxidant activity of crude extracts from polar lichens to previously published data for tropical and temperate lichen species, we concluded that lichens from Antarctic origin may be the potent sources of strong antioxidant agents. Such species should be explored as novel sources of effective antioxidant metabolites
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.