Determination of diapycnal diffusion rates in the upper thermocline in the North Atlantic Ocean using sulfur hexafluoride
Cited 20 time in
Cited 9 time in
- Determination of diapycnal diffusion rates in the upper thermocline in the North Atlantic Ocean using sulfur hexafluoride
- Other Titles
- Sulfur hexafluoride를 이용한 북대서양의 upper thermocline 에서의 diapycnal 확산률 결정
- Chang, Yoon-Seok
- Life Sciences & Biomedicine - Other Topics; Physiology
- North Atlantic Ocean; diapycnal diffusivity; sulfur hexafluoride
- Issue Date
- Chang, Yoon-Seok, et al. 2005. "Determination of diapycnal diffusion rates in the upper thermocline in the North Atlantic Ocean using sulfur hexafluoride". JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, 110(C10010): C10010-C10010.
- The apparent diapycnal diffusivity below the wind-driven surface mixed layer of the ocean was determined in an anticyclonic eddy in the eastern North Atlantic using sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) tracer data collected in June 1998. In this tracer experiment the downward penetration of SF6 was measured for 3 weeks following the deliberate injection of SF6 in the surface mixed layer. The resulting data were used to constrain the one-dimensional Fickian diffusion model to estimate the diapycnal diffusivity. The model also includes the lateral diffusion component so that it can more accurately represent the time evolution of the SF6 concentrations along the isopycnal surface. This affects the estimation of the diapycnal diffusivity. For the upper thermocline immediately below the surface mixed layer we estimated the diapycnal diffusivity for the 3 week period as 0.3 +/- 0.2 cm(2) s(-1) at a buoyancy frequency of 8.2 cph.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.