Characteristics of surface meteorology at Lindsey Island, Amundsen Sea, West Antarctica from 30 2008 to 2014
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- Characteristics of surface meteorology at Lindsey Island, Amundsen Sea, West Antarctica from 30 2008 to 2014
- Other Titles
- 2008년부터 2014년까지 서남극 아문젠 해 린지섬에서의 지상 기상 특징
- Choi, Taejin
Kim, Ji Hee
- Issue Date
- Choi, Taejin, et al. 2016. Characteristics of surface meteorology at Lindsey Island, Amundsen Sea, West Antarctica from 30 2008 to 2014. 2016 SCAR Open Science Conference. Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre. 2016.08.22~2017.01.30.
- Research on warming in West Antarctica is important to prognoses and diagnose mass balance change of the ice sheet over the region, which is directly connected to global sea level. A lack of ground based measurements of meteorology across West Antarctica, however, have limited better understanding of how the large area has been influenced by the warming through atmospheric processes and how fast the warming has progressed on the region. An automatic weather station (i.e. AWS) was setup at the Lindsey Island, Amundsen Sea close to the coastal area of West Antarctica in 2008 and has been operated for about seven years. To identify meteorological characteristics near the coastal area, we analyzed the measured temperature, pressure and wind speed, which showed high inter-annual variability, particularly in winter season. The variations in monthly averaged temperature, wind speed and pressured agreed well with near and far inland five AWS sites, particularly better with those at Bear Peninsula. Semi annul oscillation (SAO) was dominant in the annual cycle of pressure, but no significant change in temperature due to SAO for pressure was found. There were no significant trends in seasonal averaged temperature with year over last seven years. The area was characterized with persistent influence of katabatic wind from the continent, but Amundsen-Bellingshausen Seas Low depending on its longitudinal location influenced surface wind regime and resulted in temperature change in winter at the site.
- Conference Name
- 2016 SCAR Open Science Conference
- Conference Place
- Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.