Cryoprotective properties and preliminary characterization of exopolysaccharide (P-Arcpo15) produced by the Arctic bacterium Pseudoalteromonas elyakovii Arcpo 15
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- Cryoprotective properties and preliminary characterization of exopolysaccharide (P-Arcpo15) produced by the Arctic bacterium Pseudoalteromonas elyakovii Arcpo 15
- Other Titles
- 극지유래 세균 Pseudoalteromonas elyakovii Arcpo 15 가 생산하는 다당류(P-Arcpo15)의 항동결 특성과 생리 생화학적 특성연구
- Kim, Sung Jin
Yim, Joung Han
Park, Ha Ju
- Arctic bacterium; Carbohydrate CPAs; cryoprotectant; cryoprotective properties; exopolysaccharide
- Issue Date
- Kim, Sung Jin, et al. 2017. Cryoprotective properties and preliminary characterization of exopolysaccharide (P-Arcpo15) produced by the Arctic bacterium Pseudoalteromonas elyakovii Arcpo 15. The 23rd International Symposium on Polar Sciences. 극지연구소. 2017.05.17~2017.05.18.
- Twenty-two bacterial strains that secrete exopolysaccharides (EPS) were isolated from marine samples obtained from the Chukchi Sea in the Arctic Ocean
of these, seven strains were found to be capable of producing cryoprotective EPS. The ArcPo 15 strain was isolated based on its ability to secrete large amounts of EPS, and was identified as Pseudoalteromonas elyakovii based on 16S rDNA analysis. The EPS, P-ArcPo 15, was purified by protease treatment and gel filtration chromatography. The purified EPS (P-ArcPo 15) had a molecular weight of 1.7 ？ 107 Da, and its infrared spectrum showed absorption bands of hydroxyl and carboxyl groups. The principal sugar components of P-ArcPo 15 were determined to be mannose and galacturonic acid, in the ratio of 3.3:1.0. The cryoprotective properties of P-ArcPo 15 were characterized by an E. coli viability test. In the presence of 0.5% (w/v) EPS, the survival percentage of E. coli cells was as high as 94.19 ± 7.81% over five repeated freeze-thaw cycles. These biochemical characteristics suggest that the EPS P-ArcPo 15 may be useful in the development of cryoprotectants for biotechnological purposes, and we therefore assessed the utility of this novel cryoprotective EPS.
- Conference Name
- The 23rd International Symposium on Polar Sciences
- Conference Place
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.