New method of estimating temperatures near the mesopause region using meteor radar observations
Cited 10 time in
Cited 10 time in
- New method of estimating temperatures near the mesopause region using meteor radar observations
- Other Titles
- 유성레이다 관측을 통한 중간권계면 온도의 새로운 추정방법
- Lee, Changsup
Kim, Yong Ha
- Mesopause; Meteor Radar; Temperature Estimation
- Issue Date
- Lee, Changsup, et al. 2016. "New method of estimating temperatures near the mesopause region using meteor radar observations". GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS, 43(20): 10580-10585.
- We present a novel method of estimating temperatures near the mesopause region using meteor radar observations. The method utilizes the linear relationship between the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the meteor height distribution and the temperature at the meteor peak height. Once the proportionality constant of the linear relationship is determined from independent temperature measurements performed over a specific period of time by the Microwave Limb Sounder (MLS) instrument on board the Aura satellite, the temperature can be estimated continuously according to the measurements of the FWHM alone without additional information. The temperatures estimated from the FWHM are consistent with the MLS temperatures throughout the study period within a margin of 3.0%. Although previous methods are based on temperature gradient or pressure assumptions, the new method does not require such assumptions, which allows us to estimate the temperature at approximately 90 km with better precision.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.