Phytoplankton community structure in the Drake Passage between the Magellan Strait and the Bransfield Strait
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- Phytoplankton community structure in the Drake Passage between the Magellan Strait and the Bransfield Strait
- Other Titles
- 남극 드레이크해협의 식물플랑크톤 군집구조
- Kim, Dockyu
Choi, Ki Young
Choi, Jung Nam
Lee, Choong Hwan
Zylstra, Gerben J.
Kang, Beom Sik
- drake passage; magellan strait; phytoplankotn community struct
- Issue Date
- Kim, Dockyu, et al. 2004. Phytoplankton community structure in the Drake Passage between the Magellan Strait and the Bransfield Strait. 2004.09.09~.
- During the Austral summer of 2001/02, phytoplankton biomass and species distribution were measured in the Drake Passage between the Magellan Strait and the Bransfield Strait region. Size-fractionated chlorophyll a (chl a) concentrations with species information were measured to investigate the relations between physico-chemical factors and phytoplankton community structure. Chl a values ranged from 0.14 to 2.42 mg chl a m-3 (mean of 0.93 mg chl a m-3) in the overall surface stations. The highest values of the chl a concentrations (1.08 - 2.42 mg chl a m-3) were found in the Magellan Strait and near Falkland Island in the Sub-Antarctic. Nanoplanktonic (<20 µ
m) phytoflagellates were the important contributors for the increase of the chl a in the pelagic region. The nano-sized phytoflagellates accounted for more than 80% of the total chl a biomass in the pelagic regions of the Sub-Antarctic and the Antarctic. Mean chl a concentration in the Sub-Antarctic (0.92 mg chl a m-3) was 0.05 mg chl a m-3 lower than in the Antarctic (0.97 mg chl a m-3).
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.