Petrography, geochemistry, and age of a granophyre clast in the lunar meteorite DEW 12007
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- Petrography, geochemistry, and age of a granophyre clast in the lunar meteorite DEW 12007
- Other Titles
- 달운석 DEW 12007의 화강암질 암편의 암석학, 지구화학, 연대 연구
- Han, Jeong
Lee, Ki Wook
Lee, Mi Jung
Lee, Jong Ik
- Issue Date
- Han, Jeong, et al. 2015. Petrography, geochemistry, and age of a granophyre clast in the lunar meteorite DEW 12007. 78th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society. 미국 UC 버클리(UC Berkeley, USA). 2015.07.27~2015.07.31.
- Granitic clasts of lunar meteorites are im-portant to reveal a magmatic evolution history of the Moon. Here we present petrographic, geochemical, and geochronological in-formation for a granophyre clast (C3) in the mingled lunar brec-cia DEW 12007 .
A thin section (JK-1) of the DEW 12007 was used for petrography and mineral chemistry with the field-emission electron microprobe JXA-8530F at KOPRI, and zircon age da-ting with SHRIMP IIe at KBSI. Bulk composition was calculated by a modal recombination method.
C3 is an oval-shaped (~4 mm) granitic clast with dense microfractures. It contains barian alkali feldspar (An1.2-11.3Ab17.4-41.1Or46.0-76.2Cn0.4-11.5; ~51 vol %) and plagioclase (An27.0-37.1Or0.7-1.7; ~3%), intergrown with silica (~40%). “Ter-nary” feldspar  (An11.1-39.0Ab33.6-55.7Or11.6-53.8Cn0.0-2.6) is com-pact without fractures, contrary to the surrounding plagioclase and alkali feldspar. Olivine is anhedral and chemically homoge-neous with Fa90 which is lower than Fa~97 of olivines from other lunar granophyres [3, 4]. Minor phases include needle-shaped ilmenite, tranquillityite, RE-merrillite, and apatite, and skeletal zircon. Troilite, baddelyite, and monazite are trace. No pyroxene appears. C3 has a granitic bulk composition, i.e. high SiO2 (74.01 wt %), K2O (4.81), Na2O (1.82), and BaO (1.24; the highest among lunar samples ), and low P2O3 (0.12), TiO2 (0.71), FeO (5.57), MgO (0.30), and CaO (0.87). SHRIMP U-Pb isotopic data (n=16) for five zircon grains give the upper intercept age of 4340.2 ± 7.5 (2σ) Ma in a concordia diagram. The weighted mean of 207Pb-206Pb ages is 4332.4 ± 1.6 (2σ) Ma. These ages belong to the oldest ones reported from zircons of lunar grano-phyres .
Fractional crystallization of a basaltic magma is unlikely to directly produce a granitic residual magma [3, 6]. The bulk composition with high SiO2 content of C3 is similar to those of experimentally produced silicic immiscible liquids . How-ever, it is not certain that the liquid immiscibility is related to the formation of C3, due to a lack of a high-Fe fraction of immiscible liquids. Granophyric intergrowths, needle-shaped ilmenites and phosphates, and skeletal zircons represent a high degree of un-dercooling of a granitic magma. Ternary feldspar likely has formed by impact melting of plagioclase and alkali feldspar fol-lowed by rapid cooling, on the basis on the compact texture and intermediate composition.
- Conference Name
- 78th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society
- Conference Place
- 미국 UC 버클리(UC Berkeley, USA)
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.