Development of antarctic treaty system and roles and prospects of the committee for environmental protection
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- Development of antarctic treaty system and roles and prospects of the committee for environmental protection
- Other Titles
- 남극조약 체제의 발전과정과 환경보호위원회의 역할과 전망
- Kim, Ji Hee
- Antarctic Treaty System; Antarctic science policy; CEP five-year work plan; Climate change and human activity; Committee for Environmental Protection
- Issue Date
- Kim, Ji Hee. 2018. "Development of antarctic treaty system and roles and prospects of the committee for environmental protection". Ocean and Polar Research, 40(4): 259-2700.
- The purpose of this study is to provide information to understand the context of Antarctic Treaty System by looking back on its development process. It also aims to review the roles and activities of the CEP in the System in order to support the improvement our Antarctic science policy. This study considered the developmental histories of independent conventions for the Antarctic conservation and Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty under the system. CEP established accordance with the Protocol has expanded its roles in the ATCM under the circumstance of climate change and increasing human activities in the treaty area. I examined CEP’s functions, relationships with the formal observers, and its activities along with CCRWP. In addition, I have estimated the contribution of the Parties to the CEP based on the documents submitted by the Parties. The leading Parties of the System have strengthened their initiatives to expand contributing to CEP with their output from national Antarctic Program. However, Korea has not been able to take initiatives in the System even though Korea has invested considerable resources in its Antarctic program. To strengthen Korea’s initiative in the system, I suggest the following approaches: Firstly, Korea should improve its Antarctic science policy based on the newly established CEP five-year work plan; Secondly, Korea should organize a long-standing expert group to focus on Antarctic environmental policy and related scientific information; Finally, Korea should intensify its collaboration with other Parties in developing Antarctic environmental priority issues.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.