S2 tide aliasing in GRACE time-variable gravity solutions
Cited 42 time in
Cited 41 time in
- S2 tide aliasing in GRACE time-variable gravity solutions
- Other Titles
- GRACE 중력변화를 이용한 S2 조석 신호 연구
- Geochemistry & Geophysics
- Alias error; GRACE; Gravity; Ocean tide; S2 tide; Remote Sensing
- Issue Date
- Chen, Wilson, Seo, Ki-Weon. 2009. "S2 tide aliasing in GRACE time-variable gravity solutions". Journal of Geodesy, 83: 679-687.
- Errors in high-frequency ocean tide models alias to lowfrequencies in time-variable gravity solutions from the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE). We conduct an observational study of apparent gravity changes at a period of 161 days, the alias period of errors in the S2 semidiurnal solar tide. We examine this S2 alias in the release 4 (RL04) reprocessed GRACE monthly gravity solutions for the period April 2002 to February 2008, and compare with that in release 1 (RL01) GRACE solutions. One of the major differences between RL04 and RL01 is the ocean tide model. In RL01, the alias is evident at high latitudes, near the Filchner-Ronne and Ross ice shelves in Antarctica, and regions surrounding Greenland and Hudson Bay. RL04 shows significantly lower alias amplitudes in many of these locations, reflecting improvements in the ocean tide model. However, RL04 shows continued alias contamination between the Ronne and Larson ice shelves, somewhat larger than in RL01, indicating a need for further tide model improvement in that region. For unknown reasons, the degree-2 zonal spherical harmonics (C20) of the RL04 solutions show significantly larger S2 aliasing errors than those from RL01.
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.