Effects of wind and sea ice on the seasonal variation of warm circumpolar deep water in the Amundsen Sea
Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
- Effects of wind and sea ice on the seasonal variation of warm circumpolar deep water in the Amundsen Sea
- Other Titles
- 아문젠해의 남극저층수의 계절적 변동과 바람 해빙의 영향
- Kim, Tae-Wan
Lee, Sang H.
Cho, Yang Ki
Lee, Hyung Jung
Wahlin, Anna K
Ha, Ho Kyung
- Amundsen Sea; CDW; Sea Ice; Wind
- Issue Date
- Kim, Tae-Wan, et al. 2014. Effects of wind and sea ice on the seasonal variation of warm circumpolar deep water in the Amundsen Sea. The 20th international symposium on polar sciences. 대한민국 인천. 2014.05.27~2014.05.29.
- Spatial and temporal variation of the layer of warm and salty circumpolar deep water (CDW) in the center of the Amundsen Shelf was measured during two oceanographic surveys and a two-year mooring array. A hydrographic transect from the deep ocean, across the shelf break, and into the Dotson Trough shows a local elevation of the warm deep water layer at the shelf break. In the deep channel, the thickness of the CDW’s warm layer varies strongly with season, attaining maximum thickness in austral summer and waning to a minimum in austral winter. The amplitude of this seasonal variation of the interface is up to 60 m. The seasonal variation in thickness of this warm layer gives rise to a seasonal variation of the CDW’s heat content. To investigate the effects of wind and sea ice on the seasonal variation of the heat content, a simplified ocean surface stress model was used. Fields of Ekman pumping velocity were obtained from the ocean surface stress. The Ekman pumping at the shelf break, where the warm layer is elevated, shows a strong seasonal variation coinciding with the mooring data. From February to April, the marginal ice zone is close to the shelf break, and the wind field is eastward, giving rise to a strong positive Ekman pumping that may explain the seasonal signal seen in the mooring data. During austral winter, the marginal ice zone is further north, so the Ekman pumping does not cause any flow of warm water onto the shelf.
- Conference Name
- The 20th international symposium on polar sciences
- Conference Place
- 대한민국 인천
- Conference Date
- Files in This Item
- Can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
Can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Archiving not formally supported
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.